Descriptive PPC ProcessAustin Wilson
How Do We Start Our PPC Process?
To kick it off, we put every new client through the ‘90 Day PPC Blitz’. In simple terms—we get analytics properly set up, we acquire traffic, we analyze the data, we compare to previous data, and once everything is valid we begin a new test. Basically it’s a process we use to stay ahead of the chaos.
For a test to be valid, we look for:
- 2 out of 3 of these:
- +10 conversions
- +45 days
- +$500 spend
- AND 90% confidence from this awesome split test calculator
We stay consistent about measuring the quality of the traffic via Google Analytics and various tools. When we can, we like to integrate everything with a CRM like Zoho, Salesforce, or Hubspot.
At first, we talk a lot about conversions. We talk about what our goal should be, and how much value that goal brings to the table. Then we get tracking set up to analyze the goal and optimize ads accordingly.
The first month is crucial. We tackle conversion tracking set up, ad accounts set up, and keyword research.
Month one in a nutshell
- Make sure Google Analytics is set up and working properly
- Manually set up conversion tracking in Google Analytics and then import the conversion data back to Adwords or other advertising networks we’re using
- Build our conversion tracking spreadsheet
- Set up and install Google Tag Manager so we can easily track anything on the website
- Get access to the existing Adwords, Bing, Facebook ads accounts or set up new ones, and make sure all the conversion tracking is wired up correctly
- Properly set up all remarketing pixels that will be used for future remarketing campaigns
- Get to know your business by asking a few questions. Current close rate? How much a customer is worth? We model our whole process based off how money flows through your business
- Use everything we’ve learned about your business and apply it to keyword research
- Build out all v1 versions of PPC campaigns and start running traffic
In the second month, we start diving into remarketing set up + traffic testing & optimization.
Month two consists of:
- Creating new keyword strategies
- Testing different advanced bidding strategies
- Setting up remarketing campaigns
- If needed we will rework the ad copy
It’s not trying new things that are really important. It’s being able to track what’s going on in an organized way. We have a super simple way of telling what’s working and what’s not working. Believe it or not, it’s a spreadsheet and we create one for each of our PPC clients.
Entering the data into the spreadsheet eats up time, but it’s worth it. It allows us to have a better understanding & more control over the results of our client’s accounts. We don’t just guess.
By the time month three comes around we generally have a pretty solid understanding of what’s going on. Meaning we know the differences in conversion rate based on traffic source, and we have the data to prove it.
In almost every case we learn it’s the landing page that needs optimization, and sometimes we find out that it’s the landing page the needs work before month three.
The sad truth is one-size-doesn’t-fit all when it comes to landing pages. Keep in mind the landing page will make-or-break the results of the campaign, so it must be quality.
That’s Our Process!
It’s a lot of work, but it sets ourselves up to have a predictable digital marketing funnel that’s made specifically for your business from the ground up. With ongoing optimization, it will continuously generate great results. That’s why it’s a good choice to hire PPC experts like us to maintain campaign quality.
Schedule a time to talk and let us create you a personalized PPC marketing campaign. People are searching for what your business offers right now. A few well-placed ads are all it takes to get your business in front of them.